The Pelagos Sanctuary is a marine territory of 87,500 km2 in the waters of the Principality of Monaco, France and Italy, the three states being signatories of the Pelagos Agreement. The Sanctuary is home to a remarkable biodiversity, with many species of marine mammals such as dolphins, cachalots, and fin whales.
The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the WWF, the IUCN and MedPAN have joined forces to create the Pelagos Initiative to support the protection of this unique area.
The Pelagos initiative has the same objectives as those of the Agreement:
- To support and promote collaborative studies and activities in the Pelagos Sanctuary in order to contribute to the conservation of marine mammals.
- Raise awareness about the Pelagos Sanctuary, its characteristics and ongoing activities by engaging the different stakeholders.
- To promote interactions and coordinate joint activities between the different Marine Protected Areas within the Sanctuary.
- Raise funds and launch calls for proposals to implement the actions mentioned above and contribute to the objectives of protection and conservation of marine mammals within the Sanctuary defined by the Agreement.
This first call for projects is based on the themes of the current management plan of the Pelagos Agreement :
- Knowledge of the ecosystem, species and activities
- Prevention and mitigation of anthropogenic impacts and pressures and management of emergency situations
- Communication, awareness and involvement of the public and stakeholders
Eligibility criteria :
- Projects must be located within the Pelagos Sanctuary and cover at least 2 countries
- Projects must be consistent with the themes of the Pelagos management plan
- Project funding cannot exceed 75% of the total project budget
Two levels of support are possible :
- Support ranging from 10,000€ to 30,000€ for projects with a maximum total budget of 100,000€ and a duration of 12 months to 2 years maximum : please fill in application form n°1 (AF1)
- Support ranging from 50,000€ to 70,000€ for projects with a maximum total budget of 300,000€ and a duration of 2 to 3 years maximum: Please fill in application form n°2 (AF2)
Download the application forms and budget table
Please note that you will need to download the documents to fill them in, it is not possible to fill them in online
The application file must be sent before 15 September 2021 to: email@example.com.