One of the main missions of the MedPAN network is to foster experience exchange between Mediterranean MPA managers
To this effect, the network organises gatherings for managers at a regional level, better known under the name of Regional experience sharing workshops.
These workshops promote the exchange of information, expertise and experiences. The interest in organising these moments of exchange is to take stock on a given subject, the situation in the Mediterranean, and provide an opportunity for various project leaders to meet, to appreciate the diversity of existing projects, to be inspired and to build long-term approaches.
Since its inception in 2009, the MedPAN organisation has organised in collaboration with numerous partners, 7 regional experience exchange workshops for the MedPAN network.
- November 2019 – Akyaka, Turkey: “Management of highly mobile species across Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas” – Proceedings
- November 2018 – Palma de Mallorca, Spain: “Mediterranean challenges for Marine Protected Areas and Small Scale Fisheries“
- November 2017 – Izola, Slovenia: “MPAs facing pollution in the Mediterranean: thinking beyond boundaries”.
- November 2015 – Sinis, Italy: “Towards sustainable tourism in Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas” – Proceedings
- November 2014 – Tirana, Albania: “Monitoring for managing Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas” – Proceedings
- November 2013 – Hyères, France: “Surveillance and enforcement of regulations in MPAs: how to maximize the efficiency and sustainability of actions” – Proceedings
- November 2011 – Vodice, Croatia: “Environmental education and awareness-raising in Mediterranean MPAs” – Proceedings
- December 2010 – Korba, Tunisia: “How to support the development of alternative livelihoods and/or income-generating activities in the mediterranean MPAs?” – Proceedings
These workshops complement the workshops organised for the MedPAN network in the framework of the INTERREG IIIC MedPAN project that were held between 2004 and 2007.