MedPAN aims to promote the establishment, the operation and the sustainability of a Mediterranean network of MPAs.
The MedPAN organisation was created at the request of some Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas managers in 2008 with the mission to ccordinate the MedPAN network, the network of Marine Protected Areas managers that exixts since the 90s. For more information consult the History section of this site.
The non profit organisation was created in 2008 and its permanent secretariat is in place since the end of 2009. It is governed by the French law of 1901. The charter and internal rules define the purpose, operation, governance and the means of action of the organisation.For more information consult the Governance section of this site.
MedPAN works with its members and partners as well as with governmental and non governmental organizations on a local, national, regional and international level to develop its activities.Take a look at the 2020 Programme of Activities of the MedPAN organisation.
The MedPAN association ordinary General Assembly takes place once a year, at the end of the year in a Mediterranean country.
The General Assembly is composed of the members that are up-to-date in their statutory obligations and of the association partners. The Assembly is directed by the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
The ordinary General Assemby has a central role in the association’s governance. Particularly:
- it elects the Board of Directors,
- it appoints and dismisses partners,
- it decides of the associations’ strategy,
- it hears the activity report, the financial report, and if there is one, the report of external auditors,
- it approves the financial statements for the year ended,
- it votes on the projected budget,
- it discharges its management directors,
- it appoints the members of the Board of Directors, the Advisory Committee and the Scientific Committee,
- it approves the Rules of Procedure,
- and finally addresses all the points that may not have been, statutorily, allocated to another part of the association.
Board of directors
The main role of the MedPAN Board of Directors is to recommend to the General Assembly the organisation’s policies and general orientations, and oversees the proper application of the decisions taken.
It gathers once a month on average.
The Directors are elected by the annual General Assembly of members and partners. The Board of Directors is currently composed of:
- DEPANA, Spain: Chairman
- Representative: Ms. Purificació Canals, member
- Delegate: Ms. Marta Gumà Bondia. President
- RAC/SPA, Tunisia: Honorary Vice-Chairman
- Representative: Ms Souha El Asmi, Programme Manager
- Delegate: Ms. Asma Kheriji, MPA Technical Assistant
- Zakynthos National Park, Greece: Vice-Président
- Representative: Mr Laurent Sourbes, Director
- Delegate: Mr Haris Dimitriadis, Scientific Officer
- Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation, Slovenia: General Secretary
- Representative : Mr Robert Turk, Responsible for the Piran regional office
- Delegate: Ms Tina Centrih Genov, Nature Conservation Expert
- Port-Cros national Park, France: Treasurer
- Representative: Mr Marc Duncombe, Director
- Delegate: Ms Giulia Azzolini, head of service on cooperation and financial engineering
- City of Agde, France
- Representative: Mr Renaud Dupuy de la Grandrive, Director
- Delegate: Ms Véronique Salga, Municipal councillor to the marine environment
- Haut Commissariat aux Eaux et Forêts et à la lutte contre la désertification, Morocco
- Representative: Mr Abdennadi Abarkach, Engineer, Responsible for Protected Areas planning
- Agence de Protection et d’Aménagement du Littoral, Tunisia
- Representative : Mr Mohamed Ben Jeddou, General Director
- Delegate: Ms Samia Boufares, Marine and Coastal Protected Areas Programme Manager
- MPA of Torre del Cerrano, Italy
- Representative: Mr Fabio Vallarola, Director
- Delegate: Mr Fabiano Aretusi, Project Manager
- WWF France
- Representative: Ms. Catherine Piante, Programme Manager
- Delegate: Mr Denis Ody, Ocean Programme Manager
- Balearic Government General Directorate of Natural Areas and Biodiversity, Spain
- Representative: Mr Jorge Moreno, Wildlife Conservation Officer
- Delegate : Mrs Maria Francesca López Cortés, Director of Cabrera National Park
- Brijuni National Park, Croatia
- Representative: Mr Sandro Dujmovic, Biologist
- Delegate: Mr Marno Milotic, Director
- Consortium of management of Portofino MPA, Italy
- Representative: Mr Giorgio Fanciulli, Director
- Delegate: Ms Valentina Cappanera, Project Manager
The MedPAN organisation secretariat is responsible for the implementation of the strategy decided by the General Assembly.
In 2019 it is composed of 8 full time employees, 1 part time employee, 1 civic service, 1 PhD student, all designated by the Board of Directors:
- Executive Secretary: Marie Romani
- Financial Officer: Georges Boulos
- Scientific Officer: Susan Gallon
- Communications Officer: Magali Mabari
- MPA support manager: Pierre Vignes
- Project Officer (Call for Small Projects and European projects): Marianne Lang
- Executive Secretary: Marie Romani
- Database management Officer: Reda Neveu
- Event logistics and communications Officer: Emilie Grimaud
- Project Officer (Call for Small projects): Kelly Fouchy
- Civic service: Dune Ganot
- Thesis: Wissem Sedik
The secretariat is based in Marseille, France
58 quai du Port
tel : +33 4 91 52 34 33
fax : +33 4 91 45 09 48
The Scientific Committee is responsible for rendering opinions regarding all matters involving the network and its bodies, with respect to scientific aspects related to the establishment and management of MPAs in the Mediterranean area and to concrete application of governmental decisions made at an international level. It cooperates with the scientific committees of MPAs and other organisations concerned on the regional level.
It gathers once a year and met for the first time in September 2011 in Marseille, France.
Its members are elected by the General Assembly of members and partners every 3 years.
In 2019, the Scientific Committee is composed of:
- Almokhtar Saied, Libya
- Baki Yokes, Turkey
- Chedly Rais, Tunisia
- Drosos Koutsoubas, Greece
- Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara, Italy
- Gonzalo Oviedo, Switzerland
- Jean Michel Culioli, France
- Joachim Claudet (Président), France
- José Amengual Ramis, Spain
- Nilufer Oral, Turkey
- Ruthy Yahel, Israel
- Tundi Agardy, USA
Upon the request of the Board of Director’s, the Advisory Board is responsible for rendering opinions and making comments on strategic plans, action plans, programmes to be financed and budgets to be allocated. It may be consulted on other matters regarding the network’s strategic orientations.
Its members are elected by the General Assembly.
The following organisations compose the Advisory Committee in 2017:
- Conservatoire du littoral
- IUCN Med
- MPA Torre del Cerrano -AdriaPAN network
- Tour du Valat
- WWF Mediterranean
In 2020 the MedPAN organisation is supported by several organisations that ensure the operation of the Secretariat and the funding of its activities: