Despite the current context, the MPA NETWORKS project is in full swing. This project, which gathers 10 partners and is led by MedPAN, aims at strengthening Marine Protected Area managers networks in the Mediterranean to boost the efficiency of MPAs. Focusing on 4 topics – MPA management effectiveness, sustainable small scale fisheries, conservation of mobile species and sustainable financing – the project features an array of inter-related activities:
The project now has its own website where more details can be found about the objectives and the activities of the project. News are being posted on a regular basis, also relayed on the social media profiles of the project that we encourage you to follow:
The 9 pilot projects, for a start, have begun and more details can be found some of them.
- Port Cros National Park in France: Pilot action on management effectiveness & small scale fisheries –
- Portofino MPA in Italy: Pilot action on sustainable financing & small scale fisheries –
- Torre del Cerrano MPA in Italy: Pilot action on small scale fisheries
- Torre Guaceto MPA in Italy: Pilot action on small scale fisheries & mobile species conservation
- Brijuni National Park in Croatia: Pilot action on management effectiveness
- Zakynthos National Marine Park in Greece: Pilot action on mobile species conservation
- Strunjan Landscape Park in Slovenia: Pilot action on small scale fisheries & conservation of mobile species –
- Karaburun Sazan National Marine Park in Albania: Pilot action on small scale fisheries
- Llevant Marine Reserve in Spain: Pilot action on sustainable financing – Financing
Other activities of the project are also moving forward such as the establishment of working groups to provide the network with in-depth and permanent expertise on the key themes of the project. See the article dedicated to the working groups.
The setup of a permanent and operational training programme for MPA practitioners as well as the organisation of the Mediterranean MPA Forum, that should take a different form due to the pandemics, are also underway. More on these subjects will be shared soon.