Enhance integrated and sustainable management of coastal, insular and marine protected areas in the Mediterranean – 2018-2021
Project led by: MedPAN, Conservatoire du littoral, PIM initiative, WWF Mediterranean.
Financed by: FFEM and co-financing by several other donors.
Overall objective: contribute to the support and consolidation of the integrated management and resilience process of Mediterranean coastal, island and marine areas, for the benefit of ecosystems and local communities, while integrating the challenges of co-management of targeted territories, in order to reproduce them, in the long term, on a larger scale.
- Consolidate the pilot initiatives of the previous project and support new pilot sites for the co-management of coastal, island and marine territories.
- Strengthen the capacities of institutions, site managers and their partners.
- Develop advocacy and awareness for integrated co-management of territories at the national, regional and international levels.
- Develop and enhance scientific knowledge for management and policy.
- Optimize synergy between partners and coordinate project actions.
The project targets specific pilot sites:
- MOROCCO: Essaouira Archipelago, Djebel Moussa, Al Hoceima National Park et Nador Lagoon
- ALGERIA: Taza National Park, Habibas islands, Gouraya National Park and El Kala National Park
- TUNISIA: Galite archipelago, Zembra archipelago and Cap Bon Peninsula, Kuriat islands and Monastir Bay, Gremdi, Roumadiya, Sefnou and satellite islets, and Tabarka
- ALBANIA: Sazani island, Karaburun-Sazan Marine National Parc and Vlora Bay, Cap Rodonit and Lalzi Bay
- TURKEY: Kaş-Kekova SEPA and Datça Peninsula SEPA
- LEBANON: Palm islands Nature Reserve
The first annual Steering Committee of the project was conducted during the MedPAN regional workshop in Spain in Palma in November 2018.