Every four years, MedPAN and SPA/RAC conduct an assessment of where we stand with Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Mediterranean. The full report for 2020 will be released in 2022. For now, you can find a summary of the main results in the Poster of the System of Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas in 2020 that was prepared in the framework of the 2020 Mediterranean MPA Forum.
The Poster shows that in 2020:
- 8.33 % of the Mediterranean Sea is under protection status.
- 97.33 % of the total mediterranean surface under protection status is located in EU member countries water
- the cumulative surface of no-go, no-take or no fishing area represents only 0.04 % of the Mediterranean.
- Results presented in the Poster also provide an insight into management. It shows the latest trends in data collected to assess if conditions are favorable for MPAs to ensure en effective management.
MPA figures provided in this document come from two databases:
- The 2019 edition of MAPAMED, the database on Sites of interest for the conservation of the marine environment in the Mediterranean Sea, developed by MedPAN and UNEP/MAP-SPA/RAC. The core data found in MAPAMED has been validated by SPA/RAC national focal points.
- The 2021 Mediterranean MPA management database developed and managed by MedPAN.
Citation – The System of Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas in 2020, MedPAN and UNEP/MAP-SPA/RAC, November 2021.