29 November – 1st December
In Monaco and online
Registrations will open soon
MedPAN, SPA/RAC, WWF, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, and their partners, are organising the 3rd edition of the Forum of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Mediterranean.
This time, due to the constraints imposed by the COVID-19 epidemic situation, the 2020 MPA Forum process is composed of two major steps: (1) online consultation process, including
- Virtual Forum Sessions that took place from 2 to 4 June 2021 and a
- “Hybrid” event that will be held from 29 November to 1st December 2021 in Monaco and online (if the health situation is favourable of course).
Two previous editions of the Forum were the culmination of a process aiming at developing (Antalya, 2012), evaluating and updating (Tangier, 2016) a Roadmap for Mediterranean MPAs to boost the implementation by 2020 of the CBD Aichi Target 11 / Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020. This third edition process aims at developing a Post-2020 Roadmap for Mediterranean MPAs.
The 2020 MPA Forum, is a unique opportunity to bring together the wider MPA community, such as managers, policy makers, scientists, economic players, regional and international organisations, NGOs and donors from all Mediterranean countries and beyond, to take stock of the current status of MPAs and share a vision on the priority challenges to be addressed in the Mediterranean, in the coming years.
The goal of this multi-stakeholders Forum process is to deliver an operational and concrete Post-2020 Roadmap for Mediterranean MPAs to achieve their targets in line with international MPA commitments and especially the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, that will be agreed upon in 2021 by CBD COP 15.
The 2020 MPA Forum process is carried out in two major steps:
- An online consultation process in 2020/2021 with two stages:
- A preparation stage with a series of online working groups made of a panel of stakeholders, that were held in November 2020 to draft some preliminary recommendations for the post-2020 MPA Roadmap. Exchanges of those groups were based on the results of a short questionnaire that was widely disseminated in October 2020 among the MPA community to identify the main limiting factors that Mediterranean MPAs face
- An advanced stage with Virtual Forum Sessions scheduled from 2 to 4 June 2021 to scale up the discussion and feed a first draft of the Post-2020 MPA Roadmap.
- A face-to-face event from 29 November to 1st December 2021 in Monaco to finalise the Post-2020 MPA Roadmap.
The contribution of all players, whether they act at a local, national, or Mediterranean level, will be decisive for the future MPA Roadmap.
ACCOBAMS, Conservatoire du littoral, European Commission (DG Environment), European Topic Centre/University of Malaga (ETC-UMA) /Mediterranean Biodiversity Protection Community (MBPC), IUCN Mediterranean Cooperation Center, French Biodiversity Agency (OFB), The MedFund, the Mediterranean Small Islands Initiative (PIM)
With the financial support of:
The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, European Commission (through the IMAP-MPA Project), the MAVA Foundation, The French Facility for Global Environment (FFEM), INTERREG-Med MPA NETWORKS project, INTERREG- Med Mediterranean Biodiversity Protection Community, French Biodiversity Agency (OFB), City of Marseille, Department Bouches-du-Rhone