Project website: https://destimed.interreg-med.eu/
At a glance
- Duration: November 2016 – October 2019
- Funding programme: Interreg Mediterranean
- Budget: 2,500,000 €
- Lead partner: Lazio Region
- Partners: MedPAN, WWF Adria, WWF MedPO, IUCN Med, Federparchi, Albanian National Protected Areas Agency
- Countries involved: France, Croatia, Greece, Spain, Albania, Italy
- Goal: DestiMED aims at building the pre-conditions for a Mediterranean destination management organisation (DMO)
The DestiMED project
DestiMED is a project funded by the Interreg MED Programme and aims at building the pre-conditions for a Mediterranean destination management organization (DMO) that will harmonize quality standards and tools to monitor compliance and to propose attractive ecotourism offers promoted through a lasting brand.
More specifically, the project will further develop and test ecotourism standards, offers and monitoring tools in 13 protected areas around the basin – forming the quality scheme of a future DMO. It will build on results of the MEET (Mediterranean Ecotourism Experience) project, where different planning and marketing approached were created and tested. These results will be enriched through the use of a monitoring tool.
- Mediterranean Ecotourism Destinations Standards: Creating a “quality” framework at interregional level (Mediterranean ecotourism sustainability standard and monitoring)
- Monitoring system to assess the level of sustainability of tourism offer at Park level: enhancing the reasonable use of resources (local destinations sustainability checks and trainings)
- DestiMED Ecotourism products: supporting stakeholder’s integration (local clusters and regional representation) through an integrated, transversal and territorially based cooperation approach.
- Guidelines for the establishment of eco-tourism management plans for Mediterranean Protected Areas: prepare the framework of the forthcoming governance system (DMO) for Mediterranean Ecotourism in Protected Areas
- Lazio Region (project coordinator) – Italy
- MedPAN – France
- WWF Adria – Croatia
- WWF Mediterranean – Italy
- IUCN Mediterranean – Spain
- Federparchi – Italy
- Albanian National Protected Areas Agency – Albania
Thanks to the DestiMED project, 13 pilot projects will be implemented in protected areas in six Mediterranean countries: France, Croatia, Greece, Spain, Albania and Italy.
MedPAN is responsible for coordinating Pilot Actions in Marine Protected Areas in France. To this end, terms of reference were launched in June and two MPAs were selected at the beginning of July 2017 to implement the pilot actions in ecotourism:
These two MPAs will start pilot action implementation by first identifying a tour operator to manage the packages. They will move on to building the packages with the local players. The packages created will be tested twice with tourism experts as early as 2018.