Current Calls for Small project
On 12 October 2017, MedPAN launched 2 Calls for Small Projects to support the actions led in Marine Protected Areas (MPA) in the Mediterranean. These calls are now closed. Please find below an update on the selection process.
Call #1: Special Call for Small Projects
- Eligible countries: Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco and Tunisia
- Themes: Long-term financing mechanism and Strengthening the communication of MPAs
- 13 grants application forms from 4 Mediterranean countries, were submitted to MedPAN’s Secretariat:
- 4 projects were preselected under the topic “Strengthening the communication of MPAs“
- 3 projects were preselected under the topic “Long-term financing mechanism“
- The deadline for the submission of the Full Application File is January 31, 2018.
Call #2: Regular Call for Small Projects
- Eligible countries: all Mediterranean countries
- Themes: all
- 55 grants application forms from 16 Mediterranean countries, were submitted to MedPAN’s Secretariat.
- The annoucement of the preselection will be done beginning of February 2018.
Previous Calls for small projects
Supporting Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) is at the heart of MedPAN’s mission.
To this end, the network has set up a small projects scheme that aims to help MPAs provide a sustainable protection of biodiversity, while ensuring the sustainable economic development of human based activities.
These small projects provide direct support to MPA managers for the implementation of concrete actions, which will improve management effectiveness, test pilot schemes or put in place tools that can be useful to other MPAs.
30 projects funded since 2011
Five calls for small projects were launched and 30 projects were funded around 5 main topics:
- Sustainable fisheries management,
- Sustainable tourism management,
- Management tools,
- Knowledge building,
- Environmental education.
The scheme was widely mobilised for pilot and innovative actions that can be replicated in other MPAs.