The MedPAN network’s mission is to promote, through a partnership approach, the sustainability and operation of a network of marine protected areas in the Mediterranean which are ecologically representative, connected and effectively managed to help reduce the current rate of marine biodiversity loss.
The MedPAN network has developed a 2013-2017 strategy, based on the Statutes of the MedPAN organisation, the expectations of members and partners of the network as well as the challenges faced by Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas. This strategy has been approved by the General Assembly of the MedPAN organisation in November 2012.
The 2013-2017 strategy is broken down into 3 big strategic components and the 5 major transversal interventions areas of the MedPAN network.
The 3 big strategic components
Be a network for knowledge, information, anticipation and synthesis
Develop the life of the network, the exchanges between its members and their capacity to effectively manage their MPAs in link with the other players in their territories.
Reinforce the sustainability, prominence, governance and resources of the MedPAN network.
The 5 major transversal interventions areas of the MedPAN network
- Scientific strategy
- Capacity Buildling
- Communications strategy
- New funding mechanisms dymamic
- Consolidation of the Secretariat and the governance of the MedPAN network
- MAPAMED, the Mediterranean MPA database
- Mediterranean MPA status every 4 years
- Scientific watch
- Exchange of experiences between managers (workshops, exchange visits, trainings)
- Call for Small Projects
- Newsletter and website
- MPA Forum every 4 years
- Network representation in European, Mediterranean and international conferences.